Deadline to Apply: Friday, July 29th
Michigan United is a statewide coalition of civil rights, labor, faith, business, and social service organizations working together for racial and economic justice through community organizing. We are currently focused on campaigns to:
- Promote just, fair, comprehensive immigration reform
- Dismantle mass incarceration
- Create a system of universal childhood and elder care
- End predatory lending
- Create affordable, dignified housing opportunities for all
- Address climate change and transition to a just, green economy
The Movement Politics Fellowship Coordinator will be responsible for leading our movement politics canvass.
The goals of the program are to:
- Build the next generation of social justice leaders from neighborhoods in metro-Detroit;
- Promote civic engagement, naturalization, voter registration and participation by residents of low-income and immigrant neighborhoods in Metro-Detroit;
- Educate the public about important social issues;
- Advance issue campaigns through public pressure on decision-makers.
The program provides full-time fellowships for 10 people, who undergo an intensive training and field-learning process. Training consists of weekly in-depth skills sessions regarding leadership, organizing, community outreach, media work, and critical analysis. Field work consists of daily door to door canvasses and outreach programs.
The coordinator will be responsible for:
- Updating and implementing the movement politics canvass curriculum;
- Managing daily outreach efforts and canvasses;
- Managing canvass Data entry process;
- Coordinating with issue staff to advance campaign goals.
The manager must:
- Have their own reliable car. American-made cars are strongly encouraged.
- Have their own cell phone and computer.
- Be comfortable working with a culturally, religiously, and economically diverse group of partners, members, and staff.
- Be comfortable working with the public and talking to strangers.
- Be prepared for long and sometimes unusual hours.
Spanish or Arabic fluency is not required but is extremely helpful
The coordinator will be based in Detroit , Michigan.
Applicants should have some basic familiarity with social justice issues, field work, or leadership development. Applicants should be prepared for a fast-paced work environment with a high-level of autonomy.
The coordinator should be comfortable with modern office software and learning new technologies. Michigan United uses the Voter Activation Network (VAN), Microsoft and Google productivity software, Facebook, and Twitter.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQ persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send resume and cover letter to: Scott@miunited.org and email@example.com
Subject: Movement Politics Fellowship Manager
Call Scott Holiday at 877-507-7774 ext. 717