Movement Politics is an innovative way of looking at elections as opportunities to build people power and dramatically transform our economic and political system to one that puts people ahead of corporations and the 1%. Reporting to the Director of Movement Politics, the Data Director will be responsible for the system design and flow of data gathered throughout the course of the 2018 election. The data director will create statewide as well as local voter contact universes as well as volunteer recruitment lists. The person in this role will also create and refine systems for streamlined data entry and upload.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
- Produce regular reports that capture the ongoing effectiveness of Michigan United’s electoral effort.
- Teach basic data skills to frontline staff as well as volunteers.
- Work closely with the director of movement politics and other field managers to develop suitable voter contact universes and data entry systems.
- Conduct ongoing quality control of canvassing operations to ensure integrity of canvass.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High level of familiarity VAN as well Google Spreadsheets is required.
- Familiarity with the following is required: Microsoft, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Docs. ● Familiarity with EveryAction is preferred but not required.
- Creativity with creating voter/volunteer universes as well as data tracking systems. ● Ability to perform with a high degree of skill in a fast-paced work environment.
- Highly organized and meets deadlines.
Previous Life and/or Educational Experiences (* notes which are preferred, but not required):
- 6-12 months experience on a political campaign or community organization in a data management role.
- Office environment with moderate amounts of standing, walking, climbing stairs, ability to lift 25 lbs
- Weekly hours will fluctuate between 45 and 60 hours per week
- Detroit-based, with some travel to Flint, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids
Salary & Benefits:
- Pay Range: $3.3K per month
- This position lasts until December 15th, 2018
- Benefits: Health care, phone and travel stipends
- Preferences will be given to applications received on or before July 16th, 2018
- Submit resume, statement of interest, and name & contact information of three references (at least two references must be work related, one may be personal)
- References should be provided in a separate document (with the name of the candidate on the document)
- Please submit all application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please direct questions to Bartosz Kumor at email@example.com or 810-523-7123 ● Please put the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line
- If you were referred by a member of the Michigan United staff, please let us know in your application.
Michigan United (501c3) is a statewide organization of community members and institutions fighting for the dignity and potential of every person. Created out of the merger of MOP (Michigan Organizing Project) and AIR (Alliance for Immigrant Rights), we have won major victories to improve the lives of those who have been marginalized by poverty, racism, and inequality. Michigan People’s Campaign is our 501c4 sister organization. We organize along the following issue areas: immigrants’ rights, criminal justice reform, environmental justice, universal family care (including health, child care, elder care and paid sick time), and civic engagement. Our main office is in Southwest Detroit, with additional offices in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Flint. As a racial and economic justice organization, we actively encourage individuals who are underrepresented on the basis of racial, ethnic, economic, and sexual orientation(s), as well as those who share the life experiences of the members we serve, to apply. Come and be a part of our team!